The first written
reference

of the glassworks in
Neuwelt settlement.
Elias Müller
becomes
the first director.

Graupar’s map of the Jilemnice domain,
detail view inside the melting house,
1765 (SOA Zámrsk)

1764

Hans Josef Müller (son of Elias Müller) sells the glass foundry
for 3435 guilders and 57 kreutzers to Count Ernst Quido
Harrach and the glassworks comes under the
administration of the domain authorities.

1773

Anton Erben (†1795) appointed as
administrator of the glassworks,
the so-called Harrach Pattern Book of forms
and decorations is made under his administration.

1812

As a consequence of the Napoleonic Wars,
the export of Neuwelt products abroad is halted entirely,
domestic sales to a tenth of earlier production.
A substantial recovery in the fortunes of the
glassworks starts at the end of 1813.

1827

The glassworks starts with the production of leaded glass,
known as Flint glass.

There is a fire at the glassworks, but production is soon resumed.

1828

Participation at the first industrial exhibition in Prague; the glassworks is presented by the widest range of products and is awarded by a golden medal
as the only exhibitor.

1835

At the first industrial exhibition in Vienna,
the glassworks presents products in colored
and clear glass mass; the candelabra made
of fourteen parts is one of the most
impressive sights of the entire exhibition;
Count Harrach’s glassworks is the only
one to be awarded a gold medal.

1845

Presentation of the whole product range at the
Austrian Industrial Exhibition in Vienna,
where Neuwelt wins a gold medal because,
to quote the exhibitions report,
“it has been manufacturing all kinds of
colored glass in translucent, matte and
non-translucent variants and all kinds of
compound glass used for the manufacture
of artificial precious stones”
.
220 employees work at the glassworks

1851

Participation in the Great Exhibition
of the Works of Industry of all Nations in London;
Neuwelt an exhibition medal.

Exhibits of the Harrach glassworks and of the Wilhelm Hofmann Co. glass-refining workshop
(The Illustrated London News, 1851, 19, s. 606 / © Illustrated London News / Mary Evans Picture Library)

1855

Paris Universal Exhibition, bronze medal.

1860

Count Johann Nepomuk Franz Harrach (1828-1909) takes over the administration
of the Jilemnice domain and the glassworks.

1862

Participation in the Great London
Exposition, bronze medal.

On the night of the 30th-31st December
the glassworks is devastated by a fire,
it comes back into operation
on the 8th February 1863.

Great London Exposition of 1862 – Harrach glass in the private
exhibition of the Wilhelm Hofmann Co. (private collection)

Exhibition of the Harrach glassworks
from Neuwelt at the Vienna World’s Fair 1873 (FA)

1873

Participation in the World’s Fair
in Vienna, gold medal.

Monumental „Imperial“ Vase 1873
Execution: Email Malachit, H. 175 cm
Museum of Glass, Harrachov, Inv. No. 3697

5-part vase, colorless glass, layered with white opal, crackled, overlaid with colorless glass, mold-blown. Painted with enamel and gold. On the front a blue medallion in a white frame made of acanthus scroll work, in the middle a coat of arms, the Austria-Hungarian eagle, on the sides above two brown-shaded figures of genies holding ribbons with inscriptions Barmherzigkeit (Mercy) and Gottesfrucht (Piety). On the plinth a square panel with a painted view of the Possenhofen Imperial Castle, four applied rectangular pink glass beads and vivid floral draperies with ribbons painted between them. One of a pair of vases made as a tribute to the Austria-Hungarian Imperial couple, especially designed for World’s Fair in Vienna in 1873.

1876

Participation at the World’s Fair
in Philadelphia, bronze medal.

Harrach glassworks’ collection display at the International
Exhibition in Philadelphia 1876 (FA).

1888

International Exhibition in Barcelona,
gold medal; the Spanish Queen grants Johann
Harrach a first class degree of Isabel the Catholic.

On the 21st of August a great flood seriously damages
the cutting room and flint crushers.

1895

Three regenerative furnaces with the Siebert system,
thirty-six pots, a cutting room, a painting room and
an engraving workshop and an etching room, total
of 400 employees, warehouses in Prague, London,
Madrid, Bologna, Istambul, Bombay,
Alexandria and Sofia.

View of the glassworks with a newly planned building with cutting room,
watercolor, F. Skopalík 1899 (KM Jilemnice)

1900

World’s Fair in Paris, gold medal,
the prime of art noueveau; the fair is visited
by more than 50 million visitors.

1909

On the 12th of December Johann Nepomuk Franz Count Harrach dies (born 1828),
he is succeeded by Count Otto Johann Nepomuk Harrach (1863-1935).

1918

Rudolf Schwedler becomes a factory designer
he will remain in the glassworks until 1958.

1929

Participation at the World Exhibition i Barcelona, Grand Prix.

World’s Fair in Barcelona, Grand Prix (FA).

1938

On the 8th of October German troops arrive in Harrachov,
production ceased at the glassworks.

1943

Johann Nepomuk Anton Count Harrach is forced to sell the glassworks, from the 1st of April the owner is Rudolf Endler.

1945 - Spring

Through a presidential decree on the nationalization
of businesses owned by Germans from the 19th of May,
the glassworks is confiscated by state; under the
title Harrach Glassworks Nový Svět (Neuwelt)
– the glassworks is incorporated into the
nationalized Nový Bor glassworks
together with nine other factories

1946

A fire on 28th of February damages the stores, engraving workshops, painting workshops and technical offices, and causes a collapseof the roof of the old foundry, raw materials are destroyed;
there are arguments over whether
to close the glassworks
.

1948

Starting in December the new melting house is being constructed based on plans by Jan Gillar,
key positions in the glassworks are taken by Miloš Půlpitel and Milan Stříbrný, men who will determine production and commercial policy up the mid 1960s; Rudolf Schwedler was allowed to remain the head designer of the company;
after 1948 foreign trade is organized by
Foreign Trade Concerns organization.

Promotion of success of the two-year plan 1946-48, new drawing
in the background, drawing Rudolf Schwedler, 1948 (FA)

1955

A university-trained designer
Milan Metelák comes to the factory.

1958

As of the 1st of April Plant 07 Harrach glassworks n.p. Nový Svět – Harrachov is incorporated into the newly formed Union of Utility Glass Firms with its general directorate in Nový Bor; foreign trade is overseen by the company Glassexport, which through its foreign partners exports Harrach glass to Canada, Australia, West Germany, Great Britain and Italy; in general, Harrach glass is only rarely identified with its own trademark, the great majority of articles is bearing simply the label „Bohemia Glass“.

Den Orden der Arbeit übergibt im Jahre 1962 die Ministerin für Verbrauchindustrie B.
Machačová-Dostálová in die Hände des Direktors der Glasbläserei Herrn M. Stříbrný (FA)

1962

On the occasion of the celebrations of the 250th anniversary
of the first written record of the glassworks in Neuwelt,
the firm is awarded by the Degree of Labor.

1971

Renovation of the technically antiquated Harrach glassworks begins on the basis of projects drawn up in the 1960s –
the glassworks switches the method of heating from generator gas to natural gas. The melting house is equipped with two six-pot Jindra furnaces, the hall is enlarged
and a new chimney is constructed.

1987

225 workers employed, 110 in smelting work and 60 in the cutting center.

Exhibitions of historic and contemporary glass are held in the Museum of Glass and Jewelery in Jablonec nad Nisou and in the National Museum in Prague to mark the 275th anniversary.

1993

A privatization project is approved and the glassworks is sold
into private hands; the new owner is JUDr. František Novosad
from Nový Bor, former glass maker by profession from Kamenický
Šenov; there are now 190 employees at the glassworks,
98 in smelting production and 42 in the cutting center;
Ivana Müllerová becomes the firm’s designer.

1994

A museum is constructed in what is known as the Panský dům
(Manor House) followed by building
alterations in the glassworks.

Former Panský dům (Manor House) is
currently housing the glass museum.

2002

To support glass-making a micro-brewery is built, where traditional Czech unfiltered and unpasteurized beer is brewed; the micro-brewery project also involves cleaning the original source of drinking water built into Bílý Vrch (White Hill) by the Harrachs.

2008

The culmination of the economic crisis that plagued the glass industry
since 2001; the Harrach glassworks responds by reducing the number
of employees, who alternate at two shifts at one furnace and by
generating income through secondary associated projects
(tourism, micro-brewery, accommodation, beer spa).

2012

The glassworks celebrates its jubilee together the owner’s birthday;
in May the glassworks opens up its foundry to the most skillful glass makers
from eight Czech firms, who show their mastery at glass-making festival.

The glass factory also displays its products in Prague,
Pilsen and Jablonec nad Nisou.